Our Motto:

Dulcius ex Asperis (sweeter after struggle)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tropical Fruit Sundaes

We have recently been blessed by having guests stay with us for as much as two weeks at a time which, while wonderful, does present a challenge in coming up with new menus each day. Many B&Bs and guest houses simply create 8 menus and rotate them, but I much prefer (whenever possible) to surprise our guests every day with something new and hopefully appealing. I find that this is especially tricky with respect to fruit dishes as there are only so many combinations out there and often there's a danger of it just becoming one more fruit salad or broiled grapefruit! However, what this (very nice to have) problem does do is push me to be more creative and the results can be great fun. I was out scouring the fruit and vegetable markets on Commercial Drive for ideas and found myself drawn to the amazing aroma of ripe guavas, which I could smell long before I saw them. I've had disappointing results with guavas in the past as they are often not very ripe when we get them here in Canada, and sometimes full of hard seeds. I bought them anyway, along with a selection of other tropical fruits, and then started brainstorming about what I could do with them. Obviously, the answer to hard seeds in a small fruit is to blend it and push it through a sieve, so that's what I did. Then I whipped up some cream cheese and blended it together with the guava pulp. It was quite thick so I thinned it down with whipping cream & added a very small amount of icing sugar - so far, all good! How can you go wrong with guavas, cream cheese, icing sugar and whipping cream?! I taste tested the guava cream on my grandson, who tends to eat like a sparrow, and he gobbled it up, along with healthy portions of fruit! So, then, my new dish, which I call "Tropical Fruit Sundaes" was born. (By the way, in looking on the internet, I discovered I wasn't nearly as original as I thought I was! There are quite a few recipes out there for guava cream, which appears to be often used as a pastry filling.) I blind baked some puff pastry tart shells, spread a bit of chocolate sauce in the bottom, piled them high with a mixture of tropical fruit - Satsumu mandarins, Ya pears, mango, bananas, papaya, kiwi fruit and green grapes for colour. Then I poured a generous amounts of the guava cream over the top, a drizzle of either chocolate or strawberry sauce to create the appearance of a sundae, a dollop of whipped cream and topped it all off with a fresh cherry! Yum, yum! The biggest danger is of me gaining 50 pounds from wolfing down all the left over guava cream!

1 comment:

  1. Maruthi fruits are one of the largest papaya pulp exporters from India. Papaya Pulp is extracted by commercial processing of properly Matured, Sound, Cleaned and Ripened Papaya.


    for more details
    http://www.maruthifruits.com/

    ReplyDelete