Our Motto:

Dulcius ex Asperis (sweeter after struggle)

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My New Favorite Side Dish - Chorizo Potato Wraps

It's been a while since I've done any posting - I'm discovering that innkeeping can be extremely hectic (but it's still fun!). I have a couple of things that I would like to share - the first is my new favourite side dish which is based on a recipe from Anna Olson. I first saw her create these on the Food Network so here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Main/Cheese/recipe.html?dishid=10086. I have to say that Anna is one of my favourite chefs. I really find I can trust her recipes and I own several of her cookbooks - both of her "Sugar" books and "Fresh with Anna Olson". Anna calls this recipe "Chorizo Potato Cheese Wraps" and she made them as a portable snack. However, I think I would like to call them "Potato Petals" because when you arrange them in a martini glass with a dollop of sour cream and some chives, they do resemble the petals of a flower. Here's the recipe: 
Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for brushing
3 large russet potatoes
12 thin slices cured chorizo sausage (or cooked)
1 cup grated Old Cheddar cheese 

Directions 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and brush parchment with oil. Peel potatoes and slice lengthwise into 24 slices, just under ¼-inch thick (using a mandolin is easiest). Place 12 potato slices onto prepared baking tray. Arrange a slice of chorizo on each potato slice and sprinkle with cheese, leaving edges of potato clear. Cover cheese with remaining potato slices. Place a sheet of parchment paper over “wraps” and place a second baking tray on top. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove top baking tray and parchment paper and bake until potatoes are golden brown, about 8 minutes more. Serve “wraps” warm or at room temperature.  

I know these look like a lot of work but if you own a mandolin, you can quickly slice the potatoes, lay them on a cookie sheet, fill and bake them in moments (well, the baking takes at least 15 minutes. I sometimes brown them under the broiler to give them that nice golden brown colour). I have also made them dairy free by using soy cheese and they worked beautifully. The chorizo substantially improves the flavour of the soy cheese and they are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment