Our Motto:

Dulcius ex Asperis (sweeter after struggle)

Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Beauty Emerges

So, if you've ever thought of buying a wonderful old house and "fixing it up", I'm here to tell you what you can expect. I thought I knew - painting, pouring through fix-it and decorating magazines, planting a lovely English garden. Certainly I never thought I would spend so much time on my knees sanding, filling and painting baseboards, scraping paint off of old flooring, and digging garbage out of the flower beds that I got nerve damage in my lower legs! With any luck, it may go away in this lifetime. But, I'm also here to tell you that the day does come when it's all worth it. Have we reached that day? I'm not quite sure, but I believe that way in the distance, I see a glimmer of a day when I will actually have time to have a friend over for dinner again, or sit and watch a movie with my grandchildren, or enjoy a glass of wine on those wonderful verandas overlooking the Vancouver harbour and our spectacular mountains. Meanwhile, here are some pictures of just a few of the beautiful parts of "this old house". And, you know what? We still love it and it's been worth all the work and struggle!







No comments:

Post a Comment