Our Motto:

Dulcius ex Asperis (sweeter after struggle)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Skor Oatmeal Cookies - Our Most Requested Recipe

I don't usually endorse products on my blog but I don't actually know if any other company makes these little gems so may have to give them a plug. I'm referring, of course, to Skor Toffee Bits, made by Hershey's.  I first encountered Skor Bits when my daughter made a pan of "Skor Bars" - a whole other recipe, but one that is so addictive that I have trouble eating just two bars in one sitting (or was that three, or ....)!  I've since discovered that these little crunchy bits of toffee can add a special "something" to many things - for example, I've used them for a hit of flavor in streusel toppings on scones, for  a bit of decadent crunch in fruit crumbles, and a special sweet caramel goodness in oatmeal cookies.  I'm sure the possibilities are  endless.  Travelers who follow TripAdvisor will know that our guests at the Bee & Thistle are generous with their praise of the food that we prepare for them, and we love each and every one of them for it! But the number one requested recipe is this one. So this is for you, Cathy & Nancy from North Carolina, and all the others who have been kind enough to ask me to share this with them.

Skor Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 - 12 oz. (200 gram) package of Skor Toffee Bits

Cream butter, add sugars, then eggs & vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie - this may not seem like much but they spread like crazy!  Bake 14 - 18 minutes at 350 F.   Allow to rest on pan for a few minutes before attempting to remove them as they are very soft when right out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment